Monday, February 24, 2014

El concierto + el fin de semana

Friday was the first day of Spring Break for us lucky duckies.  We had our final presentations about our final research papers and then after class we had nothing!  Woohoo!

A few of my classmates and I accompanied Heidi to a free concert in the Multiplaza, a large mall near to our homes.  Apparently the minister of culture here in Costa Rica set it up to promote the arts.  There were three pop/rock bands present, Editus, Gandhi, and Marfiel (I think), combined with the National Symphony, which made for some really awesome music.  And immediately afterwards there were fireworks too!!  Then we decided to stop inside the mall for ice-cream before heading back to Heidi's for a movie night.  It was a wonderful way to start off our Spring Break.

In other news, on Saturday evening I went to church with my host family for a carry-in.  There was a bonfire to roast marshmallows and many games, as well as dinner.  Some of the games included: a sack race, a hula hoop toss, something with a balloon, and several others.  It was fun to watch the various church members interact and I appreciated the chance to participate in the activities and get to know some of the people, although I do admit I felt a bit out of place there.  Perhaps that will change with time as I become more involved with the youth group.

Sunday morning I attended church with my host family.  The sermon was about the parable of the talents and, consequently, how to manage money.  Later I accompanied my host mother and father to the grocery store and that's really about it.

Plans are falling into place for the Valpo Spring Break trip to Costa Rica/Nicaragua, so I'm becoming quite excited for that to happen.  I'll be acting as an interpreter for them while they're in San José, but after that I go my own way with other plans to visit Nicaragua.

Much love,
~Nola

No comments:

Post a Comment